IN-CLASS ONLINE LESSON #12

Step 2:
The common theme present among the scrolls which are in the casket is the acceptance of a person rather than the love of their wealth.
The golden casket shows that the person who picked it loves money more than anything else, as the gold implies that the person would do anything to get the gold. This shows a person’s greed. Also, the gold shows that the person chooses money over all other things and regard it as useless if that thing or person had lost its monetary value. This is further evident by the fact that the Prince of Morocco chose the gold casket because he loves money than Portia.

The silver casket shows that the person who chooses it does not love money as much as the person who chooses gold. However, the person’s interest in money still takes up a part of his love of Portia. This means that this person wants both the money and her at the same time. It also implies that if Portia was not rich, he would probably have chosen another woman. This person is not a person who possesses wisdom as he lacks critical thinking and is unable to make decisive decisions. Thus, the silver casket in the middle shows that the person has a weak mindset as he cannot take a stand, like the silver casket which is neither here nor there.

Bronze shows that the person is down to earth and only loves Portia for who she is rather than the money. The bronze casket shows that the person is not really bothered by how rich someone is as he goes for the character and personality of Portia rather than her wealth. Thus he goes for the humble bronze as he wants the scroll inside and not judge through the value of the caskets themselves. This shows that he does not care about the monetary value of something but rather what matters to his feeling and emotions.

Step 3:
One day, my parents went into my room and said that they had divorced. I was shocked upon hearing the news. Before they got married, they used to be a loving couple. These days, they have been arguing about almost everything. It never occurred to me that these series of events would lead a divorce.

I slowly learned my fate of choosing to live with either my mom or my dad. My parents had been suing each other over the custody of me. Eventually, the judge allowed us to choose who we should go with. Thoughts flooded by mind. Should I follow my Mom or Dad?

I searched on the internet on how to make better decisions. I realised that I had to use logic to make my decision. I had to ask myself, out of my mom and my dad, who has treated me better and who do I think is capable of giving me a better life. Most importantly, I had to think whether my mom or dad could influence me to be a successful person when I grow up.

I managed to break down my chain of thoughts. I pondered over the questions. Originally, I had wanted to live with my mother. She treated me well by showing me lots of love. But after considering, I had decided to live with my father instead. He is the breadwinner of the family, meaning that he can support me through my teenage years and early adulthood. Also, he would be able to influence me to work harder in life and be as successful as him. The loss of love would not be a major concern too. I will be able to take advantage of this kind of hatred given by my father to motivate me to work harder.

I may not have made the best decision, but I know that if I follow logic and my heart, I would be able to make the decisions in life such as this.

0 comments:

Post a Comment