Book Review: The End Of The World As We Know It (Favourite Book)

'The End Of The World As We Know It' by Lesley Choyce

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2142021.The_End_of_the_World_As_We_Know_It


Stuck in a private school for kids who have repeatedly flunked out elsewhere, Carson knows he's got nowhere lower to sink to. "Flunk Out Academy" is the last resort for Carson and his classmates, in a small town where its deeply troubled students are decidedly unwelcome. Then Carson meets someone who is even less optimistic than he. Christine struggles to get by, living in a trailer by herself, abandoned by her mother and father, so desperate that she has become almost immune to the pain and loneliness. Confronted by her deep sadness, Carson starts to care for her and she for him. Once focused on someone other than himself, he begins to notice the world around him and realize that there is beauty as well as hopelessness, love as well as hate.

This book is one book that I really love. It talks about how Carson changes for the better -from being a misanthrope to a thoughtful and caring person. Most of it talks about how Carson deals with his normal life by hating everything. He neglents what he has in life despite having a loving family. After meeting Christine, he learns that there are people out there who are emotionally hurt and are worst off than him. Eventually, Christine moves in with Carson and they struggle for the better to live in an imperfect world.

'I find that I open my mouth and i say her name out loud. Christine. And once I've said her name out loud I want to go with her. But instead, I breathe in the cold, clear night air. I take it deep into my lungs and I remind myself that there are good things in this world you can hold onto, important things that stay inside you and never go away. Even though the world has moved on and everything has changed forever.' The ending finally shows that Carson understand what life is about, and feels that his change in character was the biggest present that Christine gave to him. I feel that this book relates to me well, in a sense that when I was 10, I struggled with life, giving up all the time. This book has taught me to find that sparkle in life and excel in everything you do. I recommend this book to those who are still lost without hope and are trying to find out what the true meaning of life is.

0 comments:

Post a Comment