Linguistic

Me: Good morning Hari. I would like to conduct an interview on you.

Hari: Okay, sure.

Me: So Hari, how's the situation in Thul? Is everything fine there?

Hari: Yeah it's okay. However, I'm having some problems with my family. Well, my Dad is permanently drunk while my Mum has fallen ill. Therefore, my sister and I have to support the family.

Me: Oh, I see. Could you share with us some of your problem you are facing?

Hari: Well I am really worried because the amount of money my sister and I are earning are too little. I hope to find a better job in Bombay. It is a big city and there are many job offers there. Then, I can use the money for the family.

Me: Well, I do hope your family problem will be resolved. I'm really excited for you.

Hari: Thank you. But I'm kinda depressed. If I'm not able to earn enough money to support the family, it would be a big disgrace. I'm really angry with my Dad for betraying the family. If he wasn't drunk, life would have been easier for all of us. But I guess life goes on. It's just like a roller coaster, full of ups and downs. I can be independent through working at a young age.

Me: Good for you! It's good that you can be independent. Unfortunately, that's all the time we have. Thank you

Hari: No problem.

2 comments:

Shieyuhao said...

Winston, I think you would need to be more formal when you are interviewing. There should not be slang or informal tone like "kinda" when conducting an interview, but the speech content was totally fine.

Winston Tan said...

I understand what you mean but since Hari is not well educated because he dropped out of school, it could possibly mean that his spoken English is good and therefore he uses an informal tone when he is being interviewed.

Post a Comment